Thursday, November 09, 2006

This is Bahi

This is Bahi's story.

I have to take a deep breath and I feel overwhelmed as I think of my scars.

In the summer of 2004, I had a few painful ankle surgeries to treat OCD, Osteo Chondritis Dissecans in my right ankle. The cartilage around the Talus bone in my ankle has deteriorated resulting in bone and bone friction causing me pain. It all started in the summer of 2003 when I was at the church. I had an excruciating pain in my right ankle and was unable to put my foot on the ground. Since then, the problem became worse leading to this diagnosis. I struggled for a year with this problem. I wore only running shoes with ankle support to help me alleviate my pain. My ankle was swollen with physical activities like walking and standing.

In year 2004, I underwent the first surgery and the Orthopaedic Surgeon, found my condition was "Severe." Then I had to have additional 2 surgeries to remove the cyst that formed around my incision and then to treat the water seeping through the incision not allowing it to heal. It was a very hard and a painful period for me without any help and facing the 4 walls. I cried. I felt sorry for myself. It took 3 long months for me to overcome this difficult time.

One day as I sat in my family room facing the 4 walls having no way out to have fun, I decided to find fun even through this difficult time. I started to laugh at my life. I laughed when I crawled like a mammal to the washroom. I even wondered whether I was moving forward in the cycle of evolution, and thus came a new inspirational writing, "Marriage is the final solution for long suffering." My Orthopaedic Surgeon recommendation was to marry the 2 bones was the theme for my inspirational writing. I laughed. I laughed for the first time. I started to find humour in little things. I laughed at myself.

The humorous writing and the speech got many people’s attention leading to # 1 Humorous speech in the Region of Durham. My scars helped me find creativity to help me cope with my life seeing life in a different perspective. Scars are there to help us examine our lives and to heal ourselves. Sometimes it is not the actual scar that is painful, but the scars that we carry in our hearts for long time. What do you associate with your scars? Scars can be a catalyst for transformation. Believe me, it works.

The day before my surgery, my 2 years relationship ended and I no longer knew what I was grieving about. Was it from the pain from the surgery or the failed relationship? I blamed it on the ankle for failed relationship, which at that time I considered valuable and helped me to live in denial for a short period of time. Scars can tell you a story. Scars have feelings. They are often an unspoken pain that is buried underneath the skin.

It is time for you to identify your scar, tell the story, heal yourself and celebrate their uniqueness. No two scars look the same but every scar has a story. Everyone carries a SCAR, some are visible and others aren’t. Some can tell their stories and others don't know how to.
Searching for the meaning of that scar in your life, making it through and becoming the “STAR” is all life is about. I have scars and you just heard the story of one.

Will you share your scars? Love and Hugs from

Bahi Krishnakhanthan
www.bahikrishnakhanthan.com

No comments: