Tuesday, June 17, 2008

This is Scott


Scott has a scar on his forehead. I interviewed him and his friends about it over their kitchen/work/ping-pong table in Brooklyn.

SM: I was 4 yrs old and I had just moved into a new house, and this new house seemed huge -- as big as a soccer field. So (and there's no furniture in the new house because we just moved that day), we got the [soccer] ball out of the box and we decided to play.
And I don't remember how much of this is me remembering what really happened and how much of it is people telling me what happened. I seem to remember it was a tie game and we were about to leave and we had to end it right away -- the game was almost over so we had to play. And I just remember imagining myself -- visualizing myself making the big play, and I was gonna slide right into the goal with the ball between my knees and make the big play and (it's really funny because now when I'm telling this story, it's this big soccer event, but it's the hallway of my house) so I get the ball and I run up to score and I slide on my knees, but instead of going in the goal, I went INTO the goal -- the goal post. Which was the door-frame.

Svea: What happened next?

SM: I don't remember. Tears and blood everywhere. I just remember holding my face and my brother running to get my parents and seeing blood and being bloody and being really scared.

Svea: So you were scared of your blood?

Scott: Yeah, so that's all I remember -- it was really traumatic experience, and my parents didn't want to take me to the hospital, so they put butterfly bandages on it. Next thing you know, I just have this scar for the rest of my life. I definitely don't notice it, it's become a part... a part of me, right?

PB and DTJ: I don't notice it... I only notice it when someone else brings it up.

DTJ: Have you ever lied about it?

SM: Only once... my best friend had an appendicitis scar and we pretended we got in a big fight.

Svea: do you ever talk about what happened?

SM: Not that I can remember. We probably told that story a year after it happened, and then I remember it. I have very few memories from that time of my life. I remember moving, hitting my head and my first day of school.

No comments: